Friday, July 6, 2012

Record Cleaning Machine versus Tube Amp

I have been wanting to get my hands on a 10+ watt per channel (WPC) stereo tube amplifier.  I have also wanted to get my hands on a decent record cleaning machine.  The question has been, which do I want more?  The cost for the inexpensive Spin-Clean record cleaning system is less than an inexpensive 10+ WPC tube amp, but I still cannot make up my mind.

The Spin-Clean is a manual record cleaning solution which has been receiving great reviews from all over the web.  I see it for sale for $79, and I see the deluxe pack for $129.  When I did the math, the $129 was a nice price for all the extras you receive when you purchase it that way.

An inexpensive stereo tube amp, which has the desired power can run around $300.  When I do my search I see the vintage tube amps being sold.  I have been wondering about one.  My friend mentioned a couple things, vintage does mean old and it will need to have some work done under the hood.  Plus, am I certain that it is not a fire hazard?  He also mentioned something about the quality of the output transformers.

The sweet sound of nice and clean records will make my system sound awesome when playing records.  However, it could sound sweet all the time I am listening if I choose to add a tube amp to my system.  I currently have a flea-watt tube amp, 2.5 WPC.  Most people would be surprised as to how nicely it plays through even decent sized speakers.  I have some PSB Image Ts and the sound was impressive and actually is what convinced me in the first place to get more watts to see how nice a tube with some decent power would sound. 

Back to the record cleaning machine.  I listen to LPs nearly daily and when my mother asked me today how many LPs I have, I estimated it at around 1,000.  It would take a while to get them all cleaned, but I would use a label to identify on my plastic liners which records had been cleaned.  From what I have read this device makes quite a difference in any except machine cleaned records.

Right now I use a 4-brush wet method for cleaning my LPs.  I use an anti-static brush to loosen the dirt, then I go over it with a discwasher brush.  Then, if needed I will spray some awesome cleaning solution that I currently use, (Smart, available at www.needledoctor.com).  I then use my flat, felt pad to spread out the liquid on the surface.  Then I use the four Discwasher brushes, the newer ones are a different, more absorbent material than the original, so I start with that one.  Then I move on from the most to least aggressive brush.  Afterward it takes around 5 minutes for the liquid to evaporate.  Some records only need the first two brushes and no wet cleaning, others are very dirty.

So you can see the positive attributes of either acquisition.  I am still pondering which I will do.  I will have to make up my mind soon!


Any Opinions?





Keep Listening!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment